Saturday, August 23, 2008

Making Product Labels



This was a great idea I found somewhere along my travels on the big WorldWide Web. I'm on a serious shoe-string budget and cannot afford professionally printed labels. But I wanted something other than the teeny-tiny threaded labels available at both hobby shops and office supply depots.

I took my business card, shrunk it to 1/4 of it's size and made a new "business card" with my logo/info repeated 4 times. Print out the new card, cut, punch and thread with either pearl cotton or fancy metallic thread and voila! It's a bit laborious, but it can be done whilst watching a movie or favorite TV show.

The back is blank leaving room for price and product information.

I'll be showing today at an open house hosted by a lovely lady I met through one of my local networks. If you're an artist seeking new opportunities to market your wares, joining local networks is a great way to meet new people and find new outlets. A good place to start in finding network groups in your area is here at Meetup.com

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a GREAT idea! Very creative which fits perfectly.

:)

BeadedTail said...

Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Great idea. I make nothing... but I want to put labels on my kids... this'll work.

Pam Hoffman said...

Did you use computer/printer for this or did you get them made like that?

Also, I tend to just put stuff like business cards on regular card stock (not pre-punched 'business card' stock) then I add in very light lines for guidance with cutting.

Then I pull out a craft paper cutter (i have several) and make quick work of those cuts!

You're right - TV time is perfect for this.

I sure like this idea for creating tags so I may swipe it (or tell my cropping group! ;).

Keep us posted on any other great ideas you come up with!

Pam Hoffman
http://seminarlist.blogspot.com

LizzyT said...

Great idea and one I will use, thank you!

Designing Hilary said...

@Pam ... I used my computer printer with the cheapest business card stock I could find (at my local Fryes). Just one sheet of business card stock nets 40 labels.

Feel free to swipe the idea! It's not original. I wish I could remember where I saw this tip so that I could give proper credit.

Anonymous said...

This is sorta what I did for my product tags, except I designed my own tags. I use ribbon instead.

I love that tags like this give the items a more unique feel. Like you care very much about it.

Catherine James said...

Great Idea, Meetup's are great, as is A local Chapter of American Business Women's Association. Check out other Women's Groups in your area, you might be surprised how you business can go to the next level.

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent idea! My girlfriend has an upcoming craft show and this will be perfect for her. Thank you!

http://travelreviews.today.com/

Anonymous said...

Ooo, I like this idea - not just for product labels, but for information cards to accompany items, too.

Anonymous said...

I love this so much and I can't believe I never thought to do this. Well I had a similar idea but a rectangle is much easier to work with lol :)

EtsyBABY Team Captain said...

Great Job! I buy mine via Etsy. I will try your method next time!


http://goldtonedesigns.etsy.com