Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dichroic Glass

(photo is copyrighted by Lucky Girl Trading Co.)

Amazing that something originally developed for spacesuits and satellites can be so pretty as to be desirable to use in the making of handcrafted jewelry. The coating of glass with metal oxides produces pieces that absorb and reflect some wavelengths of light while allowing others to pass through, and the color produced shifts with the change of angle, creating an optical chameleon that is unique and one-of-a-kind. No two pieces are identical.

I love dichroic glass ... a piece of it has become part of my branding. While I'm not a glass artist, I've used artisan-produced dichroic glass pendants in a number of handcrafted jewelry pieces I've created and all of them sell very quickly.

In my wanderings through the Entrecard community, I found an excellent artist who works in this medium and you can visit her Lucky Girl Trading Company on Etsy. Also be sure to check out her blog. She's currently running a giveaway (the picture shown) and I hoping that a bit of her luck rubs off on me! I already know what I want to do with that gorgeous pendant!

4 comments:

Deb DiSalvo said...

LOVE Lucky Girl Trading - she has some fabulous jewelry!

Lucky Girl said...

Oh, WOW--this piece looks even better on your blog! Thanks for entering my giveaway, and good luck!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Isn't it gorgeous?

I hope you DO win it. After reading your more recent post about the drive, I can tell you'd do it proud.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is just beautiful!!!