Saturday, August 9, 2008

Fall 2008

I've been avoiding thinking of the fall season. When the temps stay around the three digit levels, even looking at the upcoming fall fashion lines makes me break out in a sweat! But as a designer of handcrafted jewelry, my head keeps telling me to stop delaying! So this morning I went to the Pantone Fashion Color Report Fall 2008 and printed page 2. The ink is still wet on the paper. Good thing I installed a new color cartridge earlier this week!

What a pleasant surprise! I love the colors and it will be a joy to start designing pieces to suit ... once the temps outside dip below 95F. It looks like I'll be using a lot of amethyst and lapis lazuli and smokey quartz. I need to replenish my lapis supply.

The Pantone color reports are important for the small-time designers to consider. Fortunately for us, we can wait until the freebie report is released on the Pantone website. If you're a designer catering to the retail and boutique market and sell at the accessories shows in the major market areas, you need a head start. Pantone offers "membership" to obtain reports well in advance, but it's expensive. Since I sell direct to the wearer, I can afford to wait.

Pantone is the leading manufacturer of dyes in the world so if they say Blue Iris, Royal Lilac, Shady Glade, etc are the colors for this upcoming fall, they will be the colors you see in the stores for fall. Withered Rose is my personal favorite. It looks like a Dusty Rose which was the best matched color for my eyes, hair color and skin tone when I had my colors done all those decades ago. (I wish I was very html-savvy so I could use colored text for the color names I just typed!)

How about these handcrafted earrings? I think they "read" Withered Rose. They are red aventurine and Golden Shadow Swarovski crystals made with 14k gold-fill. I have more red aventurine in my supply so I'm looking forward to putting out new pieces featuring that stone. Aventurine isn't an expensive stone, but it's beautiful. Colors range in green, peach, reddish, brown and blue. It's a quartz with inclusion of mica so there is a subtle shimmering effect called aventurescence.

I'll need to be heading over to Elle.com and check out the runway shows for Fall 2008 (which happened in February 2008) to see what all the trends are showing. Hopefully there will be some Withered Rose!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The earrings are beautiful! Glad to hear amethyst and smoky quartz are in - two of my favorites :)

Leet said...

Hi …
You have nice site…
That’s cool and I like the color…
And thanks to drop EC in my site
By the way
I want to introduce my site, the content about painting
If you don’t mind you can visit my blog and give the comment about my painting
If you interested to be painted, you are welcome 

Leet Gallery
http://leet-gallery.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love the Pantone choices for this year, since I look good in all permutations. in fact, I recently painted our extra bedroom Blue Iris.

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog post. You're right: chocolate is best. Case closed.

Marlaine said...

Those earrings are so beautiful and elegant! Though I have to say that withered rose isn't a favourite colour of mine. I guess one more season that I'm not in fashion!